Christmas is getting closer and that means that I need to find more activities to entertain the kids and spend time with the family. One of the things I love the most is taking my babies to the movie theatre, to see all of the great movies of the season. We all have a great time doing this, but at the same time this event can be so dangerous for my diet.
When I enter the movie theater, the smell of freshly popped popcorn immediately hypnotizes me. My God, it’s so difficult to resist! Although, one day I learned a few things about this little snack, and with this, I learned to control myself a little more. For example, a bucket of popcorn has between 400 and 1,200 calories, which is the amount of fat that someone should eat in 4 days, as well as up to 1,500 milligrams of sodium. Now add another 1,000 calories from soda, sweets, and already, forget about it, you surpassed all of the calories that you are supposed to eat in an ENTIRE day. Imagine a popcorn combo with a large soda is the same as having a pound of BBQ ribs with vanilla ice cream, or two cheeseburgers. And don’t even start talking about the nachos, hot dogs, or any of the other things that movie theaters have to offer.
Even though the food is so delicious, the calories that come with them are costly to a diet. I remember the “shock” I suffered the first time I went to the movies here with the kids. The tickets are so expensive and the snacks make the bill rise even faster. But, with some experience, one learns a few little tricks to save calories and money, and I will share those with you here:
• First, focus the movie and spending time with your family, rather than the food. There are so many times that we forget this, and we have our outing because of the food we are going to eat rather than the experience of seeing a movie with the family.
• Bring a few snacks. There are so many things that you can bring in your purse to avoid the temptation from theatre food by bringing something a little healthier with you. For example:
1) Almonds: Not only are these super easy to sneak into a theatre, but they also have a lot of nutrients that are good for your body. A handful of almonds has 20 grams of protein and 11 grams of fiber. So good.
2) Pumpkin Seeds: I put ½ a cup in my pocket and I enjoy them as if they were the popcorn I am eating little by little. This is about 20 grams of protein, and a ton of iron.
3) Water flavor aloe vera without sugar: These are Alejandro Chabán’s favorite hydration product, and I love them too. There are so many different flavors to add to water that makes it taste so good, and it doesn’t have any calories or sugar. This is such a practical solution because you can buy individual packets or in liquid drops that you can bring with you.
4) Protein Shake: Obviously there is nothing wrong with this one. For me, it’s the best way to enjoy my movie without any regrets. The Yes You Can!™ Diet Plan protein shakes are perfect because they are portable and I can share them with my babies because they are great for all ages. All I do is add water, I shake it, and it is a delicious sweet I can enjoy in the movies, because they taste like a dessert. Furthermore, they HELP you lose weight because they have 15 grams of protein that accelerates your metabolism that helps you burn more calories.
There you have it guys, my tips to enjoy an outing to the movies with the family without overloading your pocketbook or calories. Remember to leave me all of your comments and questions. I love you sooo much and I hope that you will begin this beautiful holiday month with happiness.